Friday, 29 July 2011

Moxi Moxi Mee Rebus

Ask any non-Malays about Chinese prepared Malay food, and they will tell you it is a poor imitation, be it Assam Pedas, Mee Bandung or Mee Rebus. There are a few imitations in the old town, but the closest to Malay Mee Rebus is the Kuang Ah Restaurant by the river side, and that I suppose, is because it caters to a largely Malay clientele. I personally feel that the Kuang Ah version isn't exactly the Mee Rebus I would like to eat again and again. But Moxi Moxi? That's different. I have heard some people give glowing reports of its unique flavour. I wasn't convinced however, until I was teaching English to a group of apprentice techicians for repair of sewing machines. The training centre was close by and one afternoon, a good friend came by during lunch hour and brought me there.

How shall I describe the Mee Rebus. I don't really know, but it seems to be like a cross between Mee Bandung and Mee rebus. Apart from the usual stuff we get for Malay Mee Rebus ( boiled potato, tofu and boiled egg), this Chinese Mee Rebus seller added tofu skin to it with a liberal splash of sambal. The real difference lies in its gravy and the sambal. It's really delicious for a light lunch. Cost: Rm3.30.

How to get there? It is after Square One, which is next to Carrefour. Facing Square One is a block of double storey shop houses. Walk along the shophouses and you will find a prominent signboard announcing its presence.


Sorry for the rather blurry picture. It was taken with a phone camera.


Moxi Moxi. It is actually two shoplots, selling pre-cooked food as well as western food. A rather unusual name, but it sticks in your memory.

1 comment:

  1. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your
    sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later. Many thanks

    Here is my web page; laser cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete